Roku streaming devices have become a popular choice for many households, offering a wide range of streaming services and channels at an affordable price. The Roku remote is essential to the experience, allowing users to easily control their devices and navigate content. However, one common issue Roku streaming users encounter is the Roku remote not working with new batteries.
There are a few reasons why your Roku remote may not work, even with fresh batteries. One possibility is that the remote is not paired with your Roku device. Another possibility is that the remote is out of range of your Roku device. If you have checked the batteries and range, and the remote is still not working, you may need to restart your Roku device.
In the post below, I will help you know why the Roku remote is not working with new batteries and the best possible solutions.
In This Article
Why is Roku Remote Not Working with New Batteries?
There are various reasons behind not working your Roku remote, even if you have inserted the fresh batteries. A few of the main reasons are listed below.
- The Roku Remote is Not Paired: On your remote, if the pairing light is blinking or not showing up, it indicates that your Roku remote is not pairing properly with your Roku device.
- Roku Remote is Out of Range: the Roku remote has a range of 30 feet. If you go further away than that, the remorse will not work properly.
- Software & App Glitches: There are chances that your Roku device is facing glitches due to not clearing caches, apps running in the background, and many others.
How to Fix Roku Remote Not Working Issue with Fresh Batteries?
Technical glitches or showing of errors are common on streaming devices like Roku. But solving these non-working issues, like the Roku remote not working with new batteries, is essential. Hence, scroll down and find the best possible measures to resolve this error.
1. Ensure Batteries are Fresh and Functional
Before diving into any troubleshooting steps, ensure the batteries you’ve inserted are new and working. Even brand-new batteries can be defective, so try popping in a fresh set to rule this out. Try inserting these batteries in other battery-operated devices and confirm that your batteries are fresh and functional.
2. Check Battery Orientation
Roku remote controls usually make it easy to tell which way the batteries go. Ensure the positive and negative ends of the batteries match the markings in the battery compartment. After inserting the batteries in the Roku remote, ensure once again that your insertion must match the markings.
3. Synchronize (Re-Pair) the Roku Remote
Many times, the Roku device loses its connection with the remote. This causes users to face Roku remote not working with new batteries issues and causes them to stop responding. Re-pairing the remote can often fix the problem. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Unplug your Roku box from the power outlet.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Plug the Roku box back in and wait for it to start up.
- Find the pairing button on your remote. It is usually on the front of the remote or in the battery compartment.
- Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds or until the Roku remote light blinks.
4. Clean the Remote
Over time, dust, dirt, and debris can build inside your Roku remote and raise issues like the Roku remote not working with new batteries and making the remote stop working correctly. To clean it, use a clean, dry cloth or a can of compressed air to gently wipe away any dust or dirt, paying particular attention to the buttons.
Important Note: Do not use water to clean your Roku remote.
5. Check for Obstacles
Ensure there are no objects between your remote and your Roku device. Things like furniture or other electronics can block the remote’s signal. Try moving the remote to a different spot to see if that fixes the problem.
6. Reset Your Roku Remote
If all the above Roku remote fixes can fix the problem, try resetting your Roku device. To reset your Roku remote to solve the problem, follow the below steps.
- Remove batteries from the Roku remote.
- Disconnect the power cable from your Roku device and wait at least 10 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cable, wait for the Roku device to restart, and show the Roku logo on the screen.
- Reinsert the batteries with proper orientation, and check whether the issue is resolved.
Alternative Ways to Resolve Roku Remote Not Working with New Batteries Problem
After trying all the above fixes, your problem with the Roku remote not working remains unsolved. You must then try other troubleshooting steps to fix this cause. Don’t worry! I have stated all the helpful measures in the below sub-headers.
1. Check for HDMI Interference
Roku remote, being a technical device, can be interfered with by nearby HDMI cables. This is especially true for Roku streaming sticks, which plug directly into the HDMI port on your TV. To fix the problem, use an HDMI cable extender to move your streaming stick away from the TV’s HDMI port.
2. Check Internet Connection
If you’ve tried all the Roku remote troubleshooting tips and it’s still not working, your Wi-Fi connection might be the problem. Roku remotes don’t need the internet to work, but they do need a local network. If your local network is down, your remote won’t work until it’s back up.
If you’re tech-savvy, check your router’s settings to see if something’s blocking the remote’s connection.
3. Use the Roku Mobile Offical App
If you’ve tried everything else and your Roku remote still isn’t working, you can use the Roku mobile app as a temporary remote control.
- Download the Roku app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Connect it to your Roku device on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Once the app is connected, you can control your Roku and navigate through content like the physical remote.
4. Update the Roku Software
Outdated software can sometimes cause problems with your Roku remote, like the Roku remote not working with new batteries. To fix this issue, ensure your Roku device runs on the latest software version. To check this, follow the below steps.
- Navigate to the Settings Menu on your Roku device.
- Scroll and look for the System option.
- Then, look and tap on the Software Update option.
- Select the Check Now or Update Now option from the menu options.
5. Replace the Roku Remote
If none of the above-stated options are proven helpful to you, it means that there is a fault with your Roku device. Now, in this case, you need to replace your Roku remote with a new one. Also, while opting for a new remote, you must ensure that the remote is compatible with your Roku device so that you do not face issues like the Roku remote not working with new batteries.
How Can I Contact the Roku Customer Support Centre?
You can also contact the Roku support center to address your Roku remote not working with the new batteries problem. Roku has a dedicated support team to help you troubleshoot and fix any problems with your Roku device or remote. You can reach the Roku support team by calling 408-556-9391 or by completing the online registration form. Also, you need to create an account on the Contact Us page; if you have already registered, continue the signing-in process.
Remote Not Working with New Batteries | Tutorial Help
The Roku remote not working with new batteries can be frustrating with a solvable issue. Follow the troubleshooting steps above to identify and fix the problem so your Roku remote works again. If your remote still doesn’t work after trying these steps, contact Roku support for help or consider replacing it.
Please share details about the method that helped you resolve the Roku remote not working with the new batteries problem. Remember to share this post with your family and friends and help them resolve this issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is my Roku remote not working with new batteries?
There might be issues like the remote is not paired, the remote is out of range, outdated versions, and many more.
2. How to fix the Roku remote not working issue?
You can fix the Roku remote not working with new batteries by verifying the inserted batteries, checking battery orientation, cleaning the remote, resetting the Roku remote, checking the internet connection, updating the Roku software, and using the Roku Mobile app.
3. How Can I connect my Roku device to the internet without a remote?
You can use the Roku mobile app or a browser extension to connect a Roku to Wi-Fi without a remote.