2nd former aide accuses Cuomo of sexual harassment; he denies allegations

2nd former aide accuses Cuomo of sexual harassment; he denies allegations

NEW YORK (WABC) — A second former aide has come forward with sexual harassment allegations against New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who responded with a statement Saturday saying he never made advances toward her and never intended to be inappropriate.

Charlotte Bennett, a health-policy adviser in the Democratic governor’s administration until November, told The New York Times that Cuomo asked her inappropriate questions about her sex life, including whether she had ever had sex with older men.

Another former aide, Lindsey Boylan, a former deputy secretary for economic development and special adviser to the governor, recently accused Cuomo of subjecting her to an unwanted kiss and inappropriate comments. Cuomo denied the allegations.

MORE: Cuomo responds after ex-aide says he kissed her, suggested strip poker

Cuomo said in a statement Saturday that Bennett was a “hardworking and valued member of our team during COVID” and that “she has every right to speak out.”

He said he had intended to be a mentor for Bennett, who is 25.

“I never made advances toward Ms. Bennett nor did I ever intend to act in any way that was inappropriate,” Cuomo’s statement said. “The last thing I would ever have wanted was to make her feel any of the things that are being reported.”

Cuomo, however, said he had authorized an outside review of Bennett’s allegations.

The governor’s special counsel, Beth Garvey, said that review would be conducted by a former federal judge, Barbara Jones.

“I ask all New Yorkers to await the findings of the review so that they know the facts before making any judgements,” Cuomo said. “I will have no further comment until the review has concluded.”

Though critics may see a conflict of interest in Cuomo appointment Jones.

When she retired from the bench she joined a top New York law firm where she worked with the governor’s former secretary, Steve Cohen.

Following the revelations, several prominent state politicians called for an independent investigation.

“Everyone deserves to have their voice heard and taken seriously. I support an independent review,” New York Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul said in a statement.

“As I previously stated, all allegations of harassment must be taken seriously. A truly independent investigation is warranted,” Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie said.

“The continued allegations are deeply disturbing and concerning. The behavior described has no place in the workplace. A truly independent investigation must begin immediately,” Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins said.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

MORE NEWS: What’s in the COVID relief bill as it heads to Senate?

———-
*Follow us on YouTube
* More local news
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts

Copyright © 2021 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*