Minecraft offers you multiple types of enchantments to enhance your gameplay once you are in the game. Today, I will discuss one such enchantment known as the Thorns. What are Thorns in Minecraft? That is what you will get to know in the rest of this article. Let’s dig in!
You can attach the Thorns enchantment to your armor to damage any attacking mob by your armor. You can attach it to any armor, including chest plates, helmets, boots, and leggings. Then, to damage the attackers, you have to fight with them, having that enchanted armor.
That was the main purpose of having Thorns in Minecraft. But there is more to it which we have discussed below with a detailed explanation. Once you thoroughly read the article, you will not have any more confusion about what are Thorns in Minecraft. So, just head on!
In This Article
What Are Thorns In Minecraft?
Thorns is an enchantment of Minecraft that will give you more power to damage the attackers while fighting with them. The highest level of Thorns in Minecraft is a level of 3. The enchantment power increases according to the level. Mobs that attack the player will suffer damage due to the armor enchantment thorns.
Thorns I and II can be gained naturally from drops, trades with specific villages, or loot found in constructions all over Minecraft. But to get Thorns III, you need to fuse Thorns I and Thorns II with an Anvil.
Although, there are chances you might find it in a loot chest. You can find an already enchanted item with Thorns III and exchange it with villagers.
How to Get Thorns in Minecraft | Locations
Getting Thorns in Minecraft is a matter of luck. All you need to do is dig in and be extra cautious with your findings.
You can find it in various places, such as:
- Buried or loot chests
You can also get Thorns using the enchanting table and Anvil in Minecraft. Head on to know how you can do so in your gameplay:
1. Get Thorns in Minecraft Through Enchanting Table
An Enchantment table is the best way to attach Thorns to any weapons and tools. You will need certain things to attach Thorns in weapons, like an Enchanting table, boots, Lapis Lazuli, and Bookshelves.
2. Get Thorns in Minecraft Through An Anvil
Anvil is very helpful in enchanting, repairing, or disenchanting any weapons and tools in Minecraft. But you will need an enchantment book to do that, which you can find through fishing, trading, etc.
How To Get Thorns III Enchantment Book in Minecraft?
There are multiple places in Minecraft where you can get loot chests with the Thorns III enchantment book in Minecraft. Have a look underneath to know the locations where you can find III enchantment book in Minecraft:
- Underground structures
- Underwater structures
- Ocean Ruins
- Aboveground structures
- Desert Pyramid
- Jungle Pyramid/Jungle Temple
- Pillager Outpost
- Woodland Mansion
- Miscellaneous structures
How To Get Thorns III Armor in Minecraft?
There are multiple places in Minecraft where you can get loot chests with the Thorns III armor in Minecraft. Have a look underneath to know the locations where you can find III armor in Minecraft:
- Underwater structures
- Small structures
- Ruined nether portal
- The Nether
- Bastion Remnant
- Ruined nether portal
- The End
- End city
What Are The Uses Of Thorns In Minecraft?
There are multiple uses for Thorns in Minecraft. Below given are the ways you can use Thorns in Minecraft.
- Any armor with the Thorns in Minecraft has a Level x 15% chance of damaging mobs that ranges from 1-4 hit points (equivalent to half to two hearts) when wearing the armor.
- When attacked by the Thorns, the attacker will be thrown back after taking damage from ranged or melee attacks.
- The Thorns enchantment becomes stronger if the player wears many armored items with that effect.
- Each piece increases the mob’s chances of receiving damage. The total damage that can be imposed this way is 4 hit points (equal to 2 hearts).
|Items with Thorns III
|Probability of Max. Damage 4 (♥️♥️)
|Average Damage Dealt
|1.125 (♥️ x 0.5625)
|1.997 (♥️ x 0.9985)
|2.637 (♥️ x 1.3185)
|3.09 (♥️ x 1.545)
- There is a drawback to the Thorns enchantment. The enchantment causes a durability penalty to the armor. It means that durability is decreased by 2 points when it deals with damage.
- No matter which degree of Thorns is used, if more than one piece of armor has the enchantment, the penalty is only applied to one piece of armor that is selected randomly.
- However, the player can enchant their armor with Unbreaking to overcome the disadvantage above.
Thorns in Minecraft cannot naturally be attached to tools or weapons. To attach the enchantment to non-armor things in Minecraft, you have to use the creative mode or follow the game instruction.
What Are The Supported Platforms For Thorns In Minecraft
The Thorns enchantment is available in the following versions of Minecraft:
|Java Edition (PC/Mac)
|Pocket Edition (PE)
|Windows 10 Edition
So, that was all about what are Thorns in Minecraft. There are multiple articles on Path of EX about Minecraft’s different activities that can help boost your gameplay. Don’t forget to check them out! See you soon in the next post! Happy gaming!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are The Thorns Enchantment Good?
While the Thorns enchantment might seem too good to be true, there is one downside. The enchantment applies a durability penalty to the armor, which means that it reduces durability by an additional 2 points when it is inflicting damage.
2. Should I Have Thorns On All My Armor?
This means that players can maximize their chances for procs by getting the Thorns enchantment on all four of their armor pieces. The only way for players to get a 100% chance to deal damage with Thorns is with the use of console commands.