Resident Evil has experienced numerous highs and lows since its initial release in 1996, but one thing has stayed constant. That this game is one of the most important & influential franchises in the game industry. And if you are one of the resident evil fans, you must know about the game’s chronological order. So, here are the Resident Evil Games in order to assist you.
The Resident Evil franchise has had almost 10 installments to this point, along with a tonne of spin-offs, remakes, and even a few standalone films in between. Recapping all the major Resident Evil titles ever made and released & knowing all resident evil games in order is a smart idea because with so much action over the years we tend to get lost with many updates and seasons.
Let’s learn all resident evil games in order. Help yourselves with this article where we are assimilating all the resident evil games ever released in correct sequential order.
All Resident Evil Games In Order Of Release
The sequencing of each game can be rather perplexing, especially for people who are unfamiliar with the Resident Evil franchise, given that there are 14 different Resident Evil games covering several timelines. This can be your ultimate guide to play all Resident Evil games in order chronologically to help you appreciate the game series to its fullest potential.
The chronological release order of Resident Evil Games is –
1. RESIDENT EVIL
Release Date: March 22, 1996
Among the list of all Resident Evil games in order, this is the first Resident Evil that saw its first release in 1996. Every gaming franchise that has endured the test of time was founded on the strength of its first release, which not only won the players’ affection and trust but also their confidence that future iterations will survive any challenges and triumph.
- The game Resident Evil was initially made exclusively for the PlayStation before being swiftly transferred to other platforms over time amid its popularity.
- Jill Valentine and Christ Redfield, who are major figures in all the other series, were introduced to players in the first episode of the game. Players could pick from 2 characters of their choice.
- Jill Valentine and Christ Redfield will be investigating the first T-virus epidemic in Racoon City in this first installment of the Resident Evil Games In Order.
- Although the mechanics are not the best—as can be expected—the edition nonetheless holds up nicely in the current market. The game includes some of the strongest puzzles in the series, along with inventory management, and nails the survival horror component wonderfully.
2. RESIDENT EVIL 2
Release Date: January 21, 1998
As we are enlisting all Resident Evil games in order of release, Resident Evil 2 is the second release of the game series, which took place in the year 1998. Before the commotion caused by Resident Evil’s first release could calm down, the game’s creator was prepared to stir things up by releasing Resident Evil 2.
- Two new characters are introduced in the game: Claire Redfield and Leon S. Kennedy, both of whom are crucial to the plot.
- Like other games, the sequel takes a lot from the first one and then makes nearly every improvement. Resident Evil 2 contains a “Zapping mechanism” that lets you play from the viewpoint of any character, despite the gameplay mechanics being nearly similar.
- Due to its exceptional feel, the game has captured the hearts of players everywhere. A PlayStation game that was later transferred to other systems like Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Gamecube, and Sega Dreamcast shows how quickly the popularity of the sequel grew.
Platforms: Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Windows, PS Vita, PlayStation, PlayStation 3, PSP, and Nintendo 64
3. RESIDENT EVIL 3: NEMESIS
Release Date: September 22, 1999
The third game in the list of all resident evil games in order is Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which is a hybrid of the two earlier titles.
- You get the first-person narrative of Jill Valentine’s attempts to flee Racoon City while being pursued by the game’s namesake beast.
- For players craving for more action, which was glaringly absent from the prior games, the new edition is properly catered to. Resident Evil 3 puts more emphasis on the action while maintaining the basic Resident Evil experience.
- This sequel received high praise from reviewers and players, just like the previous ones, which led to the game’s eventual porting to so many different platforms.
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PSP PS Vita Nintendo GameCube, Sega Dreamcast and PlayStation.
4. RESIDENT EVIL: CODE VERONICA
Release Date: February 3, 2000
Code Veronica is the fourth game series in the list of all resident evil games in order. In many ways, Code Veronica represents a first for the Resident Evil series, but it also builds on the momentum established by earlier games.
- The main characters of the game are Claire and Redfield, and the action is set in Iceland and Rockfort Island. The gameplay has a lot in common with Nemesis, despite the game’s different setting and plot.
- It’s clear that the franchise is embracing the idea of a fast-paced, action-packed game as opposed to the plodding, horror-themed titles it was previously renowned for. The fact that Code Veronica features 3D, real-time rendered environments makes it much more fascinating. It’s a sizable technological advancement that offers gamers a far better experience.
- The majority of the game’s new features arrived just in time, enabling Code Veronica to offer players a classic Resident Evil experience with a dash of speed and improved graphics.
Platforms: PlayStation2, 3, & 4, Xbox 360, Nintendo GameCube and Sega Dreamcast.
5. RESIDENT EVIL ZERO
Release Date: November 12, 2002
Resident Evil Zero is next to enlist in all resident evil games in order list, which was released in 2002. Let’s learn some specific features and improvements of this Resident Evil Zero
- With Resident Evil: Zero, Capcom overcame its first release fatigue obstacle after a string of lucrative releases.
- The game debuted some novel components, including Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen as new characters. The series of events that occurred prior to the T-Virus outbreak in Racoon City was revisited, nevertheless.
- The game’s gameplay mechanics did not alter. There weren’t many changes or improvements made to the aesthetics or engine, and the fixed camera perspective was still present. It was clear that the game needed to be given new life by the developer.
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 & 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo Wii.
6. RESIDENT EVIL 4
Release Date: January 11, 2005
Gamers weren’t the only ones who believed the franchise deserved to be reinvented; Capcom also agreed. The outcome was Resident Evil 4, one of the best games in the series. So, this Resident Evil ranks 6th among all resident evil games in order list.
- Leon is the main character of the new version. His objective is to free the president of the United States’ daughter from the grasp of a cult in a remote area of Spain.
- The T-Virus was substituted with zombies as part of the storyline modification, and the game’s immersive shoulder camera angle was added.
- Additionally, Resident Evil 4 added a feature that earlier games lacked: more control over the direction in which players may aim their weapons.
- In addition, players could interact with the surroundings by scaling walls and breaking through windows, dodging blows, and even wielding melee weapons.
- Resident Evil 4 was hailed as the best game in the Resident Evil franchise since it made so many modifications that satisfied gamers.
Platforms: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 2, 3 & 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo GameCube, and Nintendo Switch.
7. RESIDENT EVIL 5
Release Date: March 5, 2009
Resident Evil 5 which was released in 2009 is the next to enlist all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn some specific features and improvements of this Resident Evil 5.
- Resident Evil moves the action for the first time to Kijuju, an African community where the Plaga Parasites first appeared in Resident Evil 4.
- Along with Chris Redfield, who has been a franchise mainstay, Shiva Alomar also made her debut in this game.
- The game’s main differences from Resident Evil 4 are its redesigned setup and a new protagonist. The over-the-shoulder camera is the same, but it moves at a quicker clip and has a more action-oriented feel than a survival horror one.
- Additionally departing from the single-player mode, Resident Evil 5 introduces a two-player cooperative mode that provides an immersive experience. The companion AI, though, is subpar and detracts from the experience. By choosing a partner to play with, you can avoid the depressing experience.
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3 & 4, Xbox 360 and Nvidia Shield.
8. RESIDENT EVIL: REVELATIONS
Release Date: February 7, 2012
This Resident Evil revelation marks an eight-game installment in the list of all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn more about this game’s improvements, features, and accomplishments.
- Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield, the primary characters, are attempting to prevent a bioterrorist group from infecting the oceans with a virus. The player must also solve a number of puzzles and eliminate numerous foes in various situations.
- For the portable Nintendo 3DS, the compelling single-player game was made available. It has quick-moving action with a preference for the horror roots for which the franchise is most well-known.
- While not as well-known as Resident Evil 4, the game wasn’t a complete flop either. A few years later, an HD version of it was released because it did reasonably well on the market.
Platforms: Nintendo 3DS
9. RESIDENT EVIL 6
Release Date: October 2, 2012
Resident Evil 6 marks as the ninth game installment in the list of all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn more about this game’s improvements, features, and accomplishments.
- Always regarded as one of the franchise’s weakest entries is Resident Evil 5. Resident Evil 6 holds the record for the weakest entry in the series.
- The four-player co-op option and an action-oriented style were two of the new features in the current version that received a lot of attention.
- The majority of the game’s modes featured over-the-top action that also lacked depth and coherence. It failed miserably to live up to the bar Resident 4 had set and, however, managed to bring it even lower.
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3 & 4
10. RESIDENT EVIL: REVELATIONS 2
Release date: February 24, 2015
Resident Evil Revelations 2 is the tenth game installment in the list of all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn more about this game’s improvements, features, and accomplishments.
- Claire is the primary character in the new edition, and Barry Burton appears in the main series tale for the first time as a playable character.
- In the scenario of the game, Claire and her friends are attacked and kidnapped by unidentified assailants and taken to a remote island. The majority of Revolutions 2’s details were carried over from the original Revolutions, and critics claimed that the game’s technical faults and lack of innovative graphics were both significant drawbacks.
- Given the recent release of Resident Evil 2, the developers desired to hear favorable feedback about the story, characters, and cooperative gameplay.
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PlayStation 3
11. RESIDENT EVIL 7: BIOHAZARD
Release Date: January 24, 2017
Resident Evil Biohazard is the new edition that was released in 2017 and added up as the 11th installment in all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn more about this game’s improvements, features, and accomplishments.
- Capcom took some risky measures with Biohazard because they were well aware that things needed to change with the release of Resident Evil 5.
- The game’s premise is pretty well known, and it follows the same format as the other stories. The protagonist Ethan Winters being stranded in a deserted plantation inhabited by a family of cannibals is the novel’s standout moment.
- The game’s first-person perspective, which is more immersive than the over-the-shoulder view, was used for the first time. With lots of cramped spaces and a slower speed to emphasize the survivor horror sense, the terrifying feeling that made the game so popular was finally brought back.
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows.
12. RESIDENT EVIL 2 (REMAKE)
Release Date: January 25, 2019
Resident Evil Remake marks as the 12th installment in all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn more about this game’s improvements, features, and accomplishments.
- It is a full-fledged remake, Resident Evil 2. With some creative license from the creators, it tells the same story as the first Resident Evil 2.
- The game reverts to the same OTS camera used in Resident Evil 4 through 6 and focuses on striking a balance between the action and horror components. The combat confrontations are violent, and the mood is oppressive and heavy.
- This remake not only won multiple prizes but also earned favorable reviews. It’s unquestionably among the top Resident Evil editions.
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.
13. RESIDENT EVIL 3 (REMAKE)
Release date: April 2020
Resident Evil 3 marks the 13th game installment in all resident evil games in order. Let’s learn more about this game’s improvements, features, and accomplishments.
- It’s a remake of Resident Evil 2.
- This installment is the newest edition of the Resident Evil games
- It’s far better on technical and graphic fronts than in previous editions, given the rapid advancements in technology and game design.
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows.
Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil: Revelations, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil: Revelations 2, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake are all resident evil games in order according to their chronological release dates.
So, this was the ultimate list of all resident evil games in order. The Resident Evil series is evidence that a brand’s strength lies in its identity. The business has successfully weathered the storm and remained relevant throughout the years by concentrating on what makes the brand stand out.
Resident Evil is a game that everyone should attempt, whether they want to stay up late playing or are seasoned gamers looking for a change of pace from action-themed games. Pay a visit to Path of EX to know more!