Live COVID-19 updates: Namibia approves use of 6 vaccines

Live COVID-19 updates: Namibia approves use of 6 vaccines

BEIJING, March 12 (Xinhua) — The following are the updates on the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

– – – –

WINDHOEK — Namibia has approved the use of six COVID-19 vaccines, health authorities said on Thursday.

The government had approved the import of six COVID-19 vaccines from China, Russia, U.S., South Korea and India, respectively, said Ben Nangombe, executive director of the Health Ministry.

– – – –

BUCHAREST — The Romanian health authorities decided late Thursday to temporarily quarantine over 4,000 doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, coming from the same batch suspended in Italy, but to continue the vaccination with the serum from the other batches.

The batch involved is ABV 2856, announced the National Coordinating Committee for COVID-19 Vaccination Activities in a statement, adding that Romania received 81,600 doses of the batch on Feb. 7, and more than 77,000 doses have been used so far.

– – – –

SEOUL — South Korea reported 488 more cases of COVID-19 as of midnight Thursday compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 94,686.

The daily caseload was up from 465 in the previous day, staying above 400 for four straight days.

– – – –

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Joe Biden is set to announce Thursday that he will direct states to make all American adults eligible for COVID-19 vaccines by May 1.

Biden, in his first primetime address to the nation scheduled for Thursday evening, is also expected to announce that Americans should be able to gather in small groups to celebrate the Fourth of July, or the Independence Day, local media quoted a senior administration official as saying.

– – – –

BEIJING — Nine new imported COVID-19 cases were reported Thursday on the Chinese mainland, bringing the total number of imported cases to 5,124.

Of the new imported cases, three were reported in Shanghai, two each in Guangdong and Sichuan, as well as one each in Henan and Shaanxi, the National Health Commission said in its daily report Friday.

– – – –

SANTIAGO — Chile’s health authorities on Thursday announced a lockdown in Santiago Metropolitan Region during the weekends due to surging COVID-19 cases and higher intensive care unit occupancy.

A total of 14 municipalities will be in a total quarantine from Saturday, the Chilean Health Ministry said.

– – – –

WELLINGTON — New Zealand’s largest city Auckland relaxed its COVID-19 restrictions on Friday.

“Auckland is moving to Alert Level 1 at midday,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told a press conference. Auckland joins other New Zealand cities at Alert Level 1, which relaxes restrictions for the scale of gatherings.

Source link

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*