Have you seen those viral videos of Cute-little plants? I am sure you have and that made you interested in Hydroponics. We have brought you a complete article on How to Start a Hydroponic Garden?
Hydroponic Gardening is getting more popular every day, as it should have a long time ago. It is such a good method by which you can grow anywhere indoors and that too without soil. In this time of technology, we are growing plants without soil and they are greener than ever. Want to know what’s their secret? Keep Reading!
To start a Hydroponic Garden, you will need some basic materials like seeds, growing medium, nutrients, and fertilizer(Optional). We have shared the list of all materials required and a step-by-step guide to building a Hydroponic Garden.
Enough with the Wait! Below are your lists and tools required for Hydroponic gardening. Do not miss any point in creating your own Indoor Garden.
Everything You Need To Know About Hydroponic Gardens
Below is the list of equipment and tools, everyone must have before building a Hydroponic garden.
Equipment / Tools
- Drill or screwdriver (optional)
- Growing medium
- Grow light (optional)
- Bucket or basin for water reservoir
- Cotton or nylon cord
- Hydroponic fertilizer (dry or liquid)
- Growing tray
How to Start An Indoor Hydroponic Garden? A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Choose What to Plant
It is crucial to decide in prior what do you want to grow. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a fruit-giving plant. Choosing the right plant is important because you need to take care of the plant in the way it is meant to be. Every plant has its specific needs.
If you are a beginner at indoor Hydroponic gardening, I recommend you start with green leafy plants like lettuce.
You will be interested in Learn These Easy Steps To Grow Herbs Indoors: For Beginners
2. Pick a Hydroponic System
Choose a specific Hydroponic System. There are many indoor systems of soil-less planting but every system gives attention to different amounts of space and light required.
Start small, choose a small space, and make it the best space for your house.
3. Set A Light Source
Although many plants require the least amount of lights. Some plants require lights at all times for their growth. So do your research regarding the cost, light spectrum, and coverage area, at this stage.
4. Get a Hydroponic Grow Medium
You already know Hydroponic plants do need soil, but they do need something, right! Choose a medium that works best with your Hydroponic System. Some Hydroponic Mediums are-
- Expanded Clay Pellets
- Coco Coir
Check out, Best Indoor Summer Activities in 2021
5. Buy Required Nutrients for the Little Plants
Now that you have selected the plant, a Hydroponic System, a light source, A Hydroponic Medium, it’s time for nutrients. Hydroponic Plants require fewer nutrients, but that small quantity plays a crucial role in their growth.
There are many nutrients available online, so you can get all of them easily without much effort.
6. Get a pH Meter and pH Up/Down
As we are dealing with baby-sized plants, which means that they are delicate. Many times the medium in which the plant grows becomes too acidic or basic. Hydroponic plants can only grow within a specific pH range. That’s why you need to get pH electronic meters.
They are inexpensive and easy to use. You must have pH devices for the best care of your Hydroponic Garden.
7. Prep and Your Indoor Hydroponic Garden is Ready!
We covered all the steps and now finally we will do the last prep to give a final touch. Mix all the nutrients, add water and check if the Hydroponic System is working correctly.
If everything runs smooth, then after 15 minutes check the pH levels. Adjust the nutrients according to the pH test.
Your Hydroponic Garden is Ready!
Hydroponic Garden: Advantages and Disadvantages
We know you are fond of those cute little plants, but are they really worth it? Is Hydroponic Garden healthy? Is it cost-effective? Read the following advantages and disadvantages to know all about Hydroponics.
- Grow in any little corner of your house.
- Hydroponic Gardening uses 20 times less amount of water than Soil-based gardening.
- Hydroponics keep your environment sterile. This means no Pesticides will occur.
- You will be conserving water, as water can be reused in Hydroponic Gardens.
- You will have full control over the nutrient diet of plants.
- Easy Harvesting.
- No mess of mulching, tiling, changing of soils. Even no weeding will occur in any Hydroponic Garden.
- You can grow plants that will be healthy in all months of a year.
Also, read Best Christmas Tree Decoration Ideas
- Building a Hydroponic Garden isn’t exactly inexpensive.
- Requires regular attention and efforts.
- In case there is any power outage, you would have to manually water all the plants.
- Water-based microorganisms can easily occur.
- You will require technical expertise to maintain your Hydroponic Garden.
- Produce will be less than as compared to field gardening.
- If any disease occurs in any plant, all the other plants in your Hydroponic Garden will be affected.
We hope this article helped you to know all about Hydroponic Garden and Hydroponic Gardening. We suggest that you should try a hand at this at least for a few months.
Don’t spend too much money, buy minimum products and a lot of seeds and see how it turns out. Comment below your views on the article and share it with anyone who would find it helpful. Stay Home! Stay Safe!
Featured Image Credits: Homesteading