The year 2016 saw the release of TikTok, an app that brought the concept of content creation to the mainstream. Within four years TikTok had a userbase of 3 billion. When you have such huge numbers of users you have to give them some way to stay connected. For this, TikTok lets you comment and message other users. However many people do not know how to message someone on TikTok.
TikTok was created with the idea of appealing to the masses. And it did justice to its purpose! An app where you can make videos and see what others have created. An app where you get to be as creative as you wish. This idea attracted a lot of people and has led to the addition of large numbers of users on monthly basis.
TikTok is a user-friendly app but it takes a little time to get used to it. It offers you the features of creating videos, following your favorite creators, and making duet videos with them. It lets you message people directly or comment on their posts. If you are a new user and wondering how to message someone on TikTok, let me be your guide.
Direct Message on TikTok
TikTok lets you connect with other creators from all around the globe. You can like their videos and comment on their posts to connect with them. However, all these options are public and whatever you type could be viewed by anyone. There are times when you would want to message someone on TikTok but you want to do it privately. For this, you can Direct Message them.
TikTok gives you three options to set for the direct messages. It lets you decide who can message you and who cannot. Following are the DM options TikTok provides:
- Everyone: If enabled, this option allows any user who is following you on TikTok to message you.
- Friends: This option limits the number of people who can directly message you. It would allow only the users you ‘follow back’ to message you.
- No One: If you enable this option, no one on TikTok can message you, even if they are following you.
How to Message Someone on TikTok Using the Inbox Icon?
One of the ways to message someone on TikTok is to use the inbox option. Here is how you can do that:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Click on the inbox icon at the bottom, you will be directed to the activity page
- Click on the Direct Messages icon at the top right-hand corner
- You will see a list of people you are following
- Tap on the name of the person you want to message.
You’re good to go!
How to Message Someone on TikTok Through Their Profile?
The other option to message someone on TikTok is through their profile. Here is how you can do that:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Go to the profile of the person you want to message
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top right-hand corner
- You will be given a bunch of options. Select ‘Send Message’.
- You will be able to send them a message now.
TikTok is a great way to connect with people via your talent and creativity. You can use it to connect with people all around the globe. You can message people but there are some restrictions for this feature. Only if you have met all the conditions in TikTok’s policy, you would be allowed to message someone.
So be sure you follow all the community guidelines to enhance your experience on TikTok!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I message Someone on TikTok Without a Phone Number?
You Cannot Message anyone on TikTok if you have not registered your phone number. You need a phone number to access all the features of the app.
If you have already registered your number and still cannot send a message contact TikTok Support Team for help.
Can I Stop Only One Person from Messaging Me?
No, you cannot stop only one person from messaging you. You can completely turn off your Messaging feature by selecting the ‘No One’ option. This will stop everyone from messaging you.
You can, however, block a person’s account if you don’t want to receive messages from them.
Why can’t I send a Message on TikTok?
There can be 3 reasons for it:
1. You have not registered your number with the app.
2. The person you are trying to message only let their ‘friends’ message them
3. You are under 16 years of age. (TikTok doesn’t let you use the Direct Messaging option if you are under 16 years of age.)