Every year, iOS releases new iOS updates. Each latest update brings new features and improvements. However, updating your iOS device to the latest version consumes some time. So now, as Apple has announced the release of the latest iOS 17 version, you must be curious about how long does it take to update to iOS 17. Scroll down and learn its details and the factors affecting updating your Apple device to iOS 17.
The time to update iOS 17 depends on various factors, including the size of the update file, internet connection speed, free storage space in your iPhone, and, most importantly, the age of your iPhone. But, in general, it takes around 15 to 30 minutes. But, if you have a slow internet connection or your iPhone is old, it may take up to 60 minutes.
In the post below, I will help you understand how long does it take to update to iOS 17 and the factors affecting updating your iPhone to iOS 17.
In This Article
How Long Does It Take to Update to iOS 17?
Despite a strong WiFi connection, you might face issues while updating iOS 17. In four steps, you can easily update to iOS 17 in around 30 minutes.
This latest update also helps you customize photos in StandBy mode, use Live Voicemail, get a mood tracker to stay healthy, and many other hidden features are available. Also, one of the best things that iOS 17 gives is allowing its users to make FaceTime calls on Apple TV.
And the entire process might take 30 to 60 minutes. If you also want to know how long does it take to update iOS 17 to 16, please read the entire article to find out how you can update to iOS 17.
1. Device Backup and Data Sync (Maximum 5 minutes)
It is really important to back up your crucial files and data before updating your iPhone to iOS 17. After doing this step, you can relax that your data is safe, and you can easily restore your data if anything wrong happens during the update process.
For backing up, you can use the exclusive services of Apple, like iTunes and iCloud. For a more efficient and quicker data backup and sync, you can also opt for third-party applications like EassUS Mobimover.
2. iOS 17 Beta Download (Within 5 to 20 minutes)
After completing the backup process, you can download the iOS 17 Beta version. Let’s follow the steps of downloading iOS 17.
- Go to the Settings of your iPhone.
- Select the General tab.
- Tap on the Software Update option.
- If you notice multiple update options, choose the version you want to download.
- Click on the Download and Install button.
- Finally, tap the Install Now option to update your iPhone to iOS 17.
3. Installation of iOS 17 Beta (Within 10 to 20 minutes)
Once your iPhone completes downloading the iOS 17 Beta version from the server of Apple, the installation procedure will begin automatically after you click on the Install Now button.
Depending on your iPhone’s age, the installation time will vary. If your iPhone is new, installing it will take a much shorter time. You need to be patient until your iPhone completes the update of its operating system.
4. Setting up iPhone (More than 5 minutes)
Before you use your iPhone, you must set up your device after the download and installation processes are over. For this, you need to login to your iCloud account. Then, you must sign into various applications and services and set up features like Apple Pay. You need to take some time to check your music, photos, and important data to ensure everything is appropriately conveyed.
Why Does iPhone Updates Take So Long?
After knowing how long does it take to update iOS 17 to 15, you must be thinking about what causes the iPhone to update so long. There are a few causes available that can be the reason why your iPhone is taking so long to update. Let’s see the common and possible reasons for this problem.
- If your iPhone is full of data or has an inefficient transfer tool, it will take much time to back up.
- Before downloading the iOS 17 Beta version, you need to ensure your iPhone has sufficient storage for the download. You cannot download the iOS 17 Beta version if your iPhone has insufficient storage.
- Sometimes, poor and unstable internet connection can make the updating speed slower. So, before downloading the iOS 17 Beta version, please ensure your internet connection is stable and strong.
- If your iPhone is older than the new models, you might be delayed while downloading the iOS 17 Beta version.
- Last but not least, the reason is unexpected system errors. Sometimes, updating your iPhone to the iOS 17 Beta version will take a lot of time because of unforeseen system issues.
What Can I Do To Make iPhone Updates Faster?
There are a few steps available that will help you to make the update process fast. Let’s see how you can make iPhone updates faster.
- Check the Internet Connection- Sometimes, an unstable and slow internet connection can be why your iPhone takes a long time to update. In this case, you can do a speed test to ensure your iPhone’s internet connection is stable and fast.
- Early Backup- Before updating your iPhone, please ensure you have already done your iPhone’s data backup. If you know the exact release date of the new version of iOS, you can back up the data a few days ago before updating.
- Make Enough Storage- When you update your iPhone, it takes a lot of storage. So, please make sure that your iPhone has enough storage for updates. If you have insufficient storage, then delete some applications and files to make storage.
- Close the Background Applications- While updating, if you open many applications in the background, it’s high time to close all the background applications. Too many background applications can affect the speed of updating.
- Wait for a Few Days- Once the new version of iOS releases, you should wait a few days before updating. Sometimes, so many people start updating the new version of iOS at the same time. This can make Apple’s server slower.
- Cancel the Update and Reboot your Device- If you have already started updating and nothing is happening, you must cancel and reboot your iPhone. Sometimes, rebooting your iPhone can fix many minor issues. So, reboot your iPhone and start updating once again.
- Check the Battery Percentage- Ensure your iPhone has enough charge before updating. The battery percentage of your iPhone should be more than 50% when you start updating. But if your iPhone has less than 50% battery, plug it into a wall outlet and start updating.
- Reset the Network- If the issue is still not resolved, you need to reset your network to remove minor errors or temporary glitches interfering with your network connection. Now, follow the steps of resetting your network.
- Go to the Settings of your iPhone.
- Head to the General.
- Select the Reset option.
- Tap on the Reset Network Settings tab.
- Enter your password and confirm the reset process.
Which iPhones Support the iOS 17 Version?
Also, check the below list and find whether your iPhone supports the latest iOS 17 version.
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (second generation and later)
- iPhone 14 (including Plus)
- iPhone 14 Pro
Updating your iPhone to the latest version, i.e., iOS 17, may take a bit longer. But, it is important to get the latest features and security updates. So, if you are worried about “how long does it take to update to iOS 17,” do not panic. Following the tips in the above post, you can speed up the update process and update your iPhone as quickly as possible.
Is this post on “How long does it take to update to iOS 17” helpful for you? Please share your opinions and suggestions in the comments section.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does it take to update to iOS 17?
It takes 30 to 60 minutes to update to iOS 17.
2. Will my Phone download iOS 17 automatically?
The iOS 17 beta version should automatically download. Or else you can Go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone to check for a manual update.
3. How do I update my iPhone to iOS 17?
Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates > Turn on Download iOS Updates > Install iOS 17 Update.