Jewelry design is the art or profession of conceptualizing, ideating, designing, and creating jewelry basis the ensuing market trends and architectural and functional knowledge of materials like gold, silver, precious and artificial stones, etc., fabrication techniques and viability in terms of both makings as well as wearing.
- Creative vision to visualize unique innovative designs that will be popular in the market
- The capability of working with different tools and varied materials
- Attention to detail and dexterity in the use of computers and other drawing software like CAD
- To adhere to timelines, organizational and time management skills are of utmost importance
- In order to meet deadlines, you should be ready to put in long working hours
- Excellent communication and networking skills to deal with clients as well as a team and other stakeholders.
- Capability to market your work
- Passion to stay updated and relevant as per the ensuing market trends
- The contribution of the Gold and diamond trade to India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) stood at 7.5% as of Feb 2021.
- In addition, as of Feb 2021, the gold and diamond trade helped India gain 14% in total merchandise exports
- By the year 2022, Gem and Jewellery sector is estimated to employ 8.23 million people, going up from 5 million people employed in 2020.
- In FY 21, US$ 25.30 billion worth of gems & jewellery was exported by India, while it imported US$ 16.49 billion worth of gems & jewellery.
- As per a report by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), between April 2000 and March 2021, In India, the Cumulative FDI inflows in diamond and gold ornaments stood at US$ 1,190.83 million
Career Opportunities: Few job profiles are listed as under:
Entrepreneur & Manufacturer: The jewelry design course equips students with the knowledge and skill in running a jewelry business in addition to developing entrepreneurship skills. You can work as an independent designer and either run a small unit or a mass production house. You can market your line of branded jewelry or offer your designed jewelry to be sold by some other famous player under its brand.
Gemologists: Gemologists are skilled professionals who specialize in the understanding of various types of gems, metals, and precious stones. They must not only stay updated about the market trends but also about the market value of various gemstones used in making jewelry. They should possess good negotiation skills in order to do bulk purchasing of precious metals, gemstones, or finished pieces. . In addition they should know how to set prices.
Accessory Designer in Film & Television Industry: Basis the understanding of the character and the plot, a Jewelry Designer comes up with a design and creates custom pieces for actors and actresses in films and TV shows.
Goldsmiths: In this role, Jewellery designers work exclusively with gold and design & create objects, like gold pots and plates in addition to gold ornaments.
Bench Jeweler: They work within the organization and repair broken jewelry and recreate it as original as a new jewelry item. In fulfilling their duties, they take the help of other team members such as the gemologist to buy the right stones, the sales team, and the store manager for approval of designs.
Jewelry Design Course:
With such immense opportunities at hand, it’s no wonder students are scrambling to pursue Jewellery Design courses. While selecting the course, ensure that the course not only specializes in Jewellery Design but also offers competencies in both wearable and non-wearable accessory designs, contemporary and traditional crafts, and techniques and different materials, processes, and technologies.
In addition, it must have a well-equipped studio to facilitate projects besides mechanical and digital fabrication. Moreover, students must get exposure through field research, industry visits, internships, and interaction with industry experts.