Choosing mobile app design is a good decision, but it is wise to hire a good mobile app development company for the job and also know that the development process has various aspects involved. Read through this beginner’s guide and get all the details at your fingertips. Let’s begin with the basics and first understand what exactly mobile app designing is required for.
Mobile App Design: The Future Technology
Every business has a different goal when opting for app designing; however, the success commonly depends on accessibility, usability, and engagement.
App design is all about developing an appealing and effective app for end-users. The process of designing comprises of two major components:
- The user interface, UI: Mobile app UI design refers to the visual appeal and features like colours, buttons, widgets, fonts etc. App designers deal with this.
- User experience, UX: Here, the developers make sure that the app works efficiently without any loopholes.
Both the components, when working together, lead to an app that offers value for end-users and enhances company growth by reaching out to the target audience.
Platforms for app designing
Best mobile app developers develop apps for two platforms: Android and iOS. Therefore, you need to decide which platform you would like to go for if you are a beginner. It is advisable to go for the one you are familiar with. Once you are well-acquainted with one platform, consider the other one. You should also decide if you will offer your app for free or it would be a paid feature for the end-users.
According to a research study, more than 90% of users prefer downloading free apps from iOS and Android. So, make your choice wisely. As a beginner, it is wise to offer a free app, and over time, you can choose to go for paid services if your target audience finds value and are ready to pay for the features. Always remember, what package you offer to your customers will decide the success of your app.
Tools for App Designing
With the growing demands of apps, mobile app design tools are available online, which will help you get the desired results with the least effort. Some popular tools for this process are:
- Photoshop: This is the most popular mobile app UI design tool since it offers easy to use features. For beginners, this serves as a saviour. You can manipulate images easily into interesting design templates.
- Adobe XD: This is a comparatively new tool and concentrates on app designing with additional design systems. It renders cross-platform designing and support, which makes it a good choice.
- Sketch logos: This tool has been developed targeting prototyping and designing simultaneously. Hence, you can take care of both UX and UI in a mobile app design template.
The Operating System Guidelines
Once you have decided the platform between iOS and Android, the next step is to understand their guidelines. Following the OS guidelines will help you develop apps with the least errors. Some of the policies are given below:
- The best app designs are goal-driven.
- Make sure your app is simple since users will be at ease using it, making it more appealing.
- All app features should be linked to maintaining a flow.
- A readable app is more preferred.
- Value the platform you are using since your app should perform according to the forum you have opted for. Users expect the app to work according to their requirements and familiarity. Hence, if the app works against the OS-related guidelines, the user will eventually delete the app due to functionality issues.
- Use app UI design objects, navigation tools, buttons etc., according to the operating system.
Both iOS and Android have mentioned the guidelines; hence, you will know what is up to the standards and what will be rejected. Make sure you study the policy properly before starting with the designing process.
Understanding the Wireframe
Wireframes are a crucial aspect of app designing since; it helps you recognize the flow of the app usage. You get to know the way the user will be navigating and using different features. A wireframeapp helps in controlling and structuring the app effectively. Make sure you develop a well-structured, simple and usable app. You can use Adobe XD or Sketch for creating wireframes and constantly working on the features for improvisation.
Develop a mobile app mockup
For developing a useful app, you need to build prototypes and test them to make corrections. Never render an app to end-user without developing a mockup and testing it rigorously. This is a big blunder. Once your wireframes are in place, work with your development team to develop a mobile app design prototype. Using the same tool for designing wireframes and prototypes is recommended as it will consume less time and will be easier.
As your team works on developing the app, you should build-up a store of elements like buttons, fonts, icons, background and other visual components you wish to include in the app. Once the prototype is ready, you should run a series of app tests to know the shortcomings. Keep modifying the features until you are confident that the app is perfect for the end-user.
From Mobile App Prototype to Development
Once you are satisfied with the functionality of the mobile app UI design templates, it is time to get into the real-time development phase. This is where both the designers and developers will work together, leading to the final result. Developers use a set of tools to assemble, and hence, it becomes necessary for a designer to be aware of them.
A disconnect between the app designer and developer might lead to a failed mobile app. Therefore, if you are a novice in designing, make sure you work with the developer closely to understand the minute details involved and tools used even before you take up the designing task.
App designing is indeed a complicated process, but you will enjoy it if you know it right. Stick to the fundamentals, have rigour for constant improvement, and achieve a successful app that users will love to use. It will be a successful endeavour that will help achieve your business goals.