All set to know all the God of War games in order? Great!! One of the major series and a favourite of many players is the God of War video game. You take on the role of Kratos, the protagonist of God of War, as he sets out on a journey to exact revenge on the Greek gods who murdered his whole family.
God of War has remained a PlayStation exclusive leader since its release in 2005. Their most recent game is a masterwork that combines the hack-and-slash and action-RPG genres. GoW: Ragnarok, their eighth major release, is in the works. Perhaps it’s time for us to catch up on the rest of the series of God of War games in order.
We’ve seen eight main games so far, one remasters, two spin-offs, and three collections. 14 God of War entries is included overall. To understand the game’s storyline, you need to play God of War games to their storyline or release date. Here in this article, you will get all the God of War games in order.
All God Of War Games In Order | GOW Order
The entire God of War franchise can be played in one of two ways, as was already explained. Playing according to the storyline sequence is the second option while playing in the order of release is the first. Either technique is OK as long as you never lose your path while playing the games. Let’s delve into the entire list of all God of War games in order.
All God Of War Games In Release Order
Below is the God of War games in order of their Release date:
1. God Of War I (2005)
To begin God of War games in order 2005 version is the first one. In this third chapter in the timeline, the original game made its debut in 2005 on the PlayStation 2. The plot of God of War does not proceed in the sequence of the release date.
- 3D combo-based directional combat dominates the gameplay.
- The Blades of Chaos, the player’s primary weapons, are where combos come from.
- In addition to power upgrades and magical strikes, there is a secondary weapon later on.
- Last but not least, the film’s cinematic moments include quick time events.
2. God Of War II: Divine Retribution (2007)
To mention God of War games in order, this series comes next. The second instalment made its PlayStation 2 debut in 2007. Despite being the sixth entry in terms of timeline, it is not a direct sequel to the main game.
- The gameplay hasn’t changed all that much.
- Athena’s Blades are the primary weapon, but the plot also makes use of a number of additional weapons.
- There are further four magical assaults and skill advancements.
- The game features platforming components, puzzles, and numerous other bosses in addition to combat.
3. The God Of War: Betrayal (2007)
Betrayal was a Javaground action-adventure game for mobile devices in God of War games in order.
- It first appeared in 2007 for phones that supported Java ME.
- A side-scrolling, 2D video game called Betrayal.
- Kratos has platforming and puzzles in addition to similar combo-based action.
4. God Of War: Chains Of Olympus (2008)
The next exciting series in God of War games in order is Chains of Olympus. Ready at Dawn and Santa Monica Studio collaborated on the game Chains of Olympus. For the PlayStation Portable, it made its debut in 2008 (PSP).
- It functions similarly to earlier games.
- Kratos has the Blades of Chaos, combo-based fighting, and a number of auxiliary weapons.
- There are bosses, riddles, platforming sections, and quick-time events.
5. God Of War Collection – 2009 (Bundle)
Next in line to list God of War games in order is the remastered versions of God of War and God of War II are included in the Good of War Collection for the PlayStation 3. The collection made its debut as a single Blu-ray Disc in 2009.
6. God Of War III (2010)
For the PlayStation 3, the third main installment in God of War games in an order made its appearance in 2010. It is the final tale set in the Greek era and the seventh installment overall.
- The gameplay is similar to that of earlier games.
- The game does, however, provide new camera views, a magic system, and DLCs.
- The Blades of Exile are his new weapon after that, and there are numerous auxiliary weapons used along the way.
- Kratos picks up new magic move every time he acquires a new weapon.
- The game also includes some new mobility mechanics. For instance, there is range-grab combat grabble. Kratos can move across cliffs with it and drag objects and foes. On select sections, Kratos can also ride harpies across chasms.
7. The God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta (2010)
The Ready at Dawn GoW series in God of War games in order also includes Ghost of Sparta. It made its PSP debut in 2010 as the fourth episode in the overall series.
- The game uses the same gameplay concepts as the previous PSP release.
- Quick-time events
- Platforming sections
- Magical abilities are all present.
8. God Of War: Origins Collection – 2011 (Bundle)
Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta, PSP games that were upgraded for the PlayStation 3, are included in the Origins Collection. As a Blu-ray Disc, it made its premiere in 2011. It’s a very interesting version to mention in God of War games in order.
- This bundle contains visuals that are anti-aliased, 1080p, and 60 frames per second.
- The DualShock 3 rumbling features were also incorporated into the games.
9. God Of War Saga – 2012 (Bundle)
For the PlayStation 3, the God of War Saga is a collection that includes all five GoW titles in God of War games in order. The God of War Collection from 2009 contains identical remasters of the first two games. It includes:
- God of War (Remastered)
- God of War II (Remastered)
- God of War III
- Chains of Olympus (Port)
- Ghost of Sparta (Port)
In Latin America, the bundle debuted as the Omega Collection.
10. God Of War: Ascension (2013)
In God of War games in order, next is the Ascension version. For the PlayStation 3, Ascension debuted in 2013. Due to the fact that it is a prequel to the entire series, the events take place before Chains of Olympus.
- The gameplay has improved.
- In addition to magical assaults, power-ups, riddles, and platforming, Kratos’ primary weapons are the Blades of Chaos.
- New gameplay mechanics, movements, skills, and performance brought the entire system into existence.
- The game’s quick-time events now have a promptless system.
- Ascension had a multiplayer component, but it didn’t catch on.
- Rise of the Warrior is a companion graphic novel that connects to the multiplayer experience.
- Although it was only a beta, it offered PvE experiences with 4 to 8-player parties.
11. God Of War Collection (Vita) – 2014 (Bundle)
To list God of War games in order, God of War Collection (Vita) – 2014 is the next. The following PlayStation Vita package includes the HD remasters of both God of War I and God of War II. The series made its premiere in 2014.
12. God Of War III Remastered – 2015 (Remaster)
To list God of War games in order, God of War III Remastered is the next. God of War III Remastered was made available for the PlayStation 4 by Sony in 2015. The port was created using algorithms in bulk. The more recent model had a new photo mode, 60 frames per second, and 1080p quality.
13. God Of War: A Call from the Wilds – 2018 (Spin-off)
A call from the Wilds comes to mention God of War games in order. A Call from the Wilds is a text-based Facebook Messenger side project. The use of social media to advertise God of War was an experiment in marketing.
14. God Of War: Mimir’s Vision – 2018 (Spin-off)
Mimir’s version is the next in God of War games in order. Mimir’s Vision was a mobile AR app available for ARCore Android 7.0 or newer devices and iOS smartphones and tablets. It debuted in 2018 as a companion app for God of War.
- The experience lets users tap, zoom, and explore a map to find points of interest, lore, and stories behind Kratos’ Norse adventure.
- Mimir guides users from The River Pass to the Mountain Peak to showcase the new map of the upcoming title.
15. God Of War (2018)
God of War, the series’ most recent game, made its PlayStation 4 premiere in 2018. Sony will also release a Windows-compatible version in January 2022.
The eighth instalment is also the final one chronologically in the God of War games in order. The majority of the settings in the new entry, which draws its inspiration from Norse mythology, are located in Scandinavia, in the Norse legendary land of Midgard.
- With a semi-open world layout, pronounced magical powers, and a just character advancement system, the gameplay reimagines the franchise.
- An over-the-shoulder shot is used instead of the third-person perspective.
- Kratos switches from dual swords to a magical axe as his primary weapon in particular.
- The axe functions similarly to Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor, in that it can be thrown and called upon when needed to knock down opponents.
- Runes that offer magical attacks and effects can be added to the axe over time to enhance it.
- The Guardian Shield, another one of Kratos’s weapons, is both an offensive and a defensive shield.
- The RPG components provide recipes and materials for making armour upgrades and other equipment.
- Perks are passive enhancements that armours offer the playable character.
- Kratos collects Hacksilver, virtual money used to purchase goods from vendors.
- Kratos can also learn new things and develop his skills thanks to the game’s XP system.
- Additional loot in the game includes runes, special items, secondary weapons, armour, weapon upgrades, and cash.
- Kratos is the main character but Atreus also has playable portions. However, there is a button that may be used to direct Atreus to assist with exploration, fighting, puzzles, and movement.
Every God Of War Game In Chronological Order
Here is the list of God of War games in order chronologically. Let’s have a look –
1. God Of War – 2005
This is the starting of the God of War games in order. Kratos worked for the Olympian Foods as a Spartan soldier in ancient Greece. The protagonist is instructed to slay Ares, Kratos’ former mentor, by the goddess Athena. Because Ares deceived him into killing his own family, he agrees to start the task.
In order to complete the task, Kratos must look for the one thing that could stop the box. Before Ares destroys Athens out of wrath, it is necessary to locate Pandora’s Box.
2. God Of War II – 2007
To list God of War games in order, next is God of War II. The gameplay and the setting are similar. In the ancient Greek setting, you play as Kratos. Zeus, the God of Gods, dethrones Kratos of his divinity and consigns him to the underworld now that Ares has died.
Gaia, a Titan, saves Kratos in the Underworld and reveals to him the path to salvation. To exact revenge on Zeus, he needs to track down the Sisters of Fate and request their help in travelling back in time.
3. God Of War: Betrayal – 2007
God of War Betrayal is next in line to mention the God of War games in order. In his capacity as the God of War, Kratos is accused of murdering the ancient giant Argos. An Olympian messenger sets out to find the real assassins.
4. God Of War: Chains of Olympus – 2008
As we are discussing the God of War games in order, Chains of Olympus is next in line. The plot of this book takes place ten years before the events of the first one, making it a precursor to that one. In search of the sun God Helios, the story follows Kratos, an Athena devotee. Many Gods have become asleep while the Dram God Morpheus is away. He soon learns that Morpheus is a foe of the Olympian Gods.
5. God Of War III – 2010
To avert Zeus’ treachery, Kratos travelled back in time. In order to kill the King of the Gods and open Pandora’s Pox, he must locate Pandora in order to fight his father. That’s how the story is progressing in God of War games in order.
6. God Of War: Ghost of Sparta – 2010
Then in the story of the God of War games in order, Kratos looks into his past as a human and resolves to return to Atlantis, where he once lived. He locates his mother Callisto, who requests that he find his missing brother Deimos.
7. God Of War: Ascension – 2013
Kratos kills his daughter and wife, and then the story of God of War games in order begins. The Spartan deity rejects Ares in response to his deceit. Kratos suffers torture in return from the God of War. The protagonist must therefore flee in order to confront his wardens and liberate himself from Ares.
8. God Of War: A Call From The Wilds – 2018
To interpret God of War games in order, Atreus, Kratos’ son, embarks on a journey amid the wilds of Norse mythology in the short novella. He received his knowledge of runes and archery from his mother, and he is currently travelling to locate a dying deer that he telepathically heard. Kratos will have to save him, though, as Atreus was unable to defeat a few draughts along the way.
9. God Of War – 2018
Atreus, the son of Kratos, is a supporting character in God of War games in order. The demigod attempts to set an example for Atreus while dealing with his terrible, violent history. Kratos wants to keep Atreus’s divine nature a secret because he is unaware of it.
Unforeseen circumstances, though, send the pair into battle with the Norse gods. Atreus’ proposal to scatter his mother’s ashes at the tallest mountain of the nine realms sparks the war. Kratos’ second wife is the mother of Atreus.
So, that was all for the God of War games in order as of now. Kratos’ journey has yet to be concluded, but if 2018’s God of War is to be believed, he might pass away during Ragnarok. Kratos’ voyage through Norse mythology will come to a conclusion with God of War: Ragnarok, according to a previous confirmation from Santa Monica Studios. Santa Monica Studios has not yet officially announced a release date for God of War: Ragnarok, which is expected to occur in 2022. To know more about God of War games in order stay tuned to the Path Of EX website. Happy Gaming!!!