Article content continued
1 lb. (500 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
8 oz. (250 g) mild chorizo or kielbasa sausage, casing removed
4 tbsp (60 ml) vegetable oil
2 onions, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, cored seeded and dice
2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
1 tsp (5 ml) fresh thyme
1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
2 cups (500 ml) long grain rice
2-1/2 cups (625 ml) chicken stock
1 – 14 oz. (400 ml) can diced tomatoes
8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped parsley
Hot sauce to taste
- Cut chicken thighs into quarters. Cut sausage in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) pieces.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil over medium-high heat; brown half of chicken on all sides. Transfer to plate. Add another 1 tbsp (15 ml) tablespoon of oil to the pan and brown remaining chicken. Transfer to plate. Set aside.
- In same pan, add another tablespoon of the oil and cook sausage until it is golden around the edges. Transfer to plate with chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium and add last 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil to pan. Add onions, stirring frequently. Srape up any golden bits on the bottom of the pan. Add celery, red and green pepper, chili powder, oregano, thyme and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for about three to four minutes or until onion softens. Stir in garlic and salt.
- Add rice, stirring to coat, followed by stock, tomatoes, (including juice) chicken and sausage. Bring back to simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. (Stir partway through cooking to ensure rice is not sticking and that dish stays at low simmer).
- When rice is just cooked and liquid is absorbed, stir in shrimp. Cover and cook for another six to eight minutes or until shrimp are bright pink and cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with your favourite hot sauce on the side.