Being a fan of Fallout games at this time is fascinating. Interplay Entertainment developed the Fallout series of post-apocalyptic role-playing video games, which subsequently evolved into action role-playing games. The show takes place in the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd centuries. Having all the fallout games in order will make it easy for a Fallout lover to follow the game.
The future is portrayed in the Fallout games in order series as a wasteland ravaged by nuclear conflict. Players assume control of a survivor in each game as they explore this wasteland in an effort to learn how to improve their own lives—and, if desired, that of other people living on the planet.
Fallout games in order have created a massive world over the course of its several titles. It might be helpful to study the Fallout games in Chronological and Release order for anyone wishing to brush up on the franchise’s lore. Without further ado, let’s get into the article.
All Fallout Games In Release Order
One of the greatest video game franchises ever made is the Fallout games in order series. The games have a ton of other things going on in the background in addition to their distinctive gameplay and compelling storylines. Here is my list of Fallout games in order of release date, if you’re interested in the series or want to learn more about how these games are made:
1. Fallout | 1997
Fallout 1997 is the first game to be released in the Fallout games in order list. It was intended to be the groundbreaking role-playing game Wasteland’s spiritual successor.
- SPECIAL system (an acronym for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility and Luck).
- But what sets SPECIAL apart in this version of Fallout games in order is how it uses the character’s traits in a novel way.
- Fallout implemented excellent organic choice-making by taking into account all traits and utilising all features to assist you in creating a character that you can utilise to win battles.
- The game’s compelling narrative is also very important. In the year 2161, in a dystopian version of Southern California, you are given the responsibility of finding a water chip in the Wasteland to replace the one that is currently in use in Vault 13, your underground vault.
- While completing your mission, you must stop the Master’s scheme.
2. Fallout 2 | 1998
In the list of Fallout games in order, Fallout 2 is the second one. Eighty years after the events of Fallout, Fallout 2, the game’s focus is on the Vault Dwellers’ ancestors.
- The engine in Fallout 2 has been upgraded, and there are more jokes and parodies of pop culture as well as the option to control the attitude of the non-player characters.
- In this version of Fallout games in order, the player has 18 different abilities in this open-world role-playing game, with each skill having a ranking between 0% and 300%.
- These skills are divided into 4 passive skills, 6 combat skills, and 8 active skills.
- The starting skill levels often range from 0% to 50%, depending on the character’s main characteristics.
- The player receives skill points for each level attained, which they can then utilize to strengthen their character.
3. Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel | 2001
The version of Fallout games in order is set in the Midwestern region of the United States of America, unlike the first two games, though. You will play as a brand-new Brotherhood of Steel initiate, keeping with the premise of sci-fi, post-apocalyptic earth.
- You are charged with completing several assignments.
- Brotherhood of Steel also differs from the other two games.
- More of a focus on tactical fighting and less of one on role-playing.
- Players in this game will have improved customization options thanks to the character system.
- While multiplayer games allow you to play as players who are Ghouls, Humans, Super Mutants, Deathclaws, Dogs, or Humanoid Robots, the primary character must be Human.
- The game was also the first to forbid turn-based fighting by the player.
- The combat system in Fallout games in order had many stances, modifications, and modes.
4. Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel | 2004
Brotherhood of Steel (2004), which was created and published by Interplay Entertainment is the fourth one mentioned in the list of Fallout games in order. It is the first Fallout game to be created for the Play Station 2 and Xbox.
- The game depicts the journey of a Brotherhood of Steel imitation.
- Your objective is to locate your abducted coworkers and have them drive you to a nearby town that is populated by armed thugs.
- Chapter 3 of the tale continues the action, and along the road, you’ll have to fight radioactive and mutant scorpions, bandits and raiders, kamikaze ghouls, and super mutants.
- Brotherhood of Steel makes use of the SPECIAL attribute assignment system.
- Similar to prior games in the Fallout games in order, the 7 traits are assigned numerical values and control how players interact with each other.
- On the other hand, unlike in prior Fallout games, the values are fixed and not changeable.
5. Fallout 3 | 2008
Fallout 3 comes next in the list of Fallout games in order. Following the acquisition of the game’s rights, Bethesda Game Studios created and released Fallout 3. Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 all have the game available.
- The drama follows a Vault 101 member as he leaves his Vault and enters the Capital Wasteland.
- The protagonist has never been to the Wasteland because he was reared by his vigilant father and is now living under the Overseer’s strict control.
- Inexplicably leaving the Vault on his 19th birthday, James, a scientist and physician, departs the family home, and James’s goal is to locate him.
- In this version of Fallout games in order, 200 years after the Great War, in the post-apocalyptic year 2277, James must be located and released from Vault 112.
- The Lone Wanderer must follow James and discover his past.
- The Lone Wanderer is then taken prisoner by the Enclave, a relic of the pre-war government, and a series of events that will prove to be somewhat unpredictable begin.
6. Fallout: New Vegas | 2010
Fallout: New Vegas comes next in the list of Fallout games in order. The setting for Fallout: New Vegas is a post-apocalyptic Vegas that has been devastated by nuclear war following a struggle between the United States and China over resources in 2077.
- Ancient Las Vegas is surrounded by the city of New Vegas. The immense city of gaming seems unaffected by the aftermath of the nuclear war.
- However, a conflict is developing between the tribes, notably Caesar’s Legionnaires and Great Khans, and the New California Republic (NCR).
- NRC is adamant about establishing law and order in the Wasteland.
- In this version of Fallout games in order, the player’s job is to deliver packages via the Courier to Mr House, the owner of New Vegas, throughout the Mojave Wasteland.
- But despite being attacked by thugs, robbed, shot, buried, and left to perish, the Courier manages to escape the situation.
- After that, the Courier leaves to track down their assailant and retrieve the box.
- On the way, the courier encounters both allies and foes and eventually becomes involved in a conflict over control of the Mojave Wasteland and New Vegas.
- In the video game Fallout: New Vegas, the setting is a post-apocalyptic Vegas that has been devastated by nuclear war following a conflict in which the United States and China went to war for resources in 2077.
7. Fallout 4 | 2015
Fallout 4 was the fourth main Fallout game to be released by Bethesda Game Studio in the series of Fallout games in order. The game takes place in 2288, 210 years following the Great War and 10 years following Fallout 3.
- In the game, the player assumes control of Sole Survivor, who has been kept in an underground nuclear bunker called Vault 111 for a considerable amount of time in cryogenic sleep.
- As their son is being taken away and their husband is being killed, the only survivor watches.
- The Sole Survivor travels across decayed regions as they make their way to the Commonwealth in quest of their son.
- In this version of Fallout games in order, you have to finish several objectives along the way to get experience points and level up your powers.
- You will face off against Mole rats, Raiders, Super Mutants, Deathclaws, Feral Ghouls, and Deathclaws throughout the game.
- The game makes use of the SPECIAL character system, which aids in perk selection and character development to suit play style.
- You can also attack at your own pace thanks to the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (VATS).
- The addition of a dialogue system with over 111,000 lines, a crafting system that produces lootable things, base-building, and a layered armour system makes this game superior to Fallout 3.
8. Fallout 76 | 2018
The most recent entry in the Fallout games in order series was created and published by Bethesda Game Studio as Fallout 76. The first online multiplayer Fallout game is this version of the post-apocalyptic survival conflict.
- Up to three players will have an exhilarating time in the vast open gaming environment of Appalachia.
- The games are the most recent addition to the Fallout series and have a redesigned SPECIAL character progression system.
- Initially, in this version of Fallout games in order, there were no non-player characters who were humans.
- Instead, the game aids players in putting the pieces together they need to advance through the use of collectable holotapes, robots, and ambient narration.
- The debut of the first human NPCs is anticipated for 2020.
All Fallout Games In Chronological Order
If you are new to the video game series or would like to evaluate the Fallout games in order, it can be difficult to know where to start. It’s a great way to appreciate the complete series of Fallout games to play them in order. In chronological sequence, the five key games are depicted. Also displayed here are the game’s start and end times.
- Fallout – 2161
- Fallout 2 – 2241
- Fallout 3 – 2277
- Fallout 4 – 2287
These are the Fallout games in spin-offs order that are playable on PC and console:
- Fallout 76 – 2102
- Fallout 76: Nuclear Winter – 2102
- Fallout 76: Wastelanders – 2102
- Fallout 76: Steel Reign – 2102
- Fallout Shelter – 2170
- Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel – 2197
- Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel – 2208
- Fallout: New Vegas – 2281
- Fallout 4 VR – 2287
So, this was all about Fallout games in order. Even though it was announced, Fallout 5 has not yet been made available. Following the 2023 release of Starfield, The Elder Scrolls 6 will be Bethesda’s subsequent game. Following The Elder Scrolls 6, Fallout 5 will be released by Bethesda Game Studios, according to producer Todd Howard.
1. Which Fallout games are canon?
The Fallout canon includes:
Fallout 2 (1998)
Fallout 3 and its add-ons (2008)
Fallout: New Vegas and its add-ons (2010)
Fallout 4 and its add-ons (2015)
Fallout 76 and subsequent updates (2018)
2. Are Fallout 3 and New Vegas connected?
In the storyline, NV and 3 are separate. They do share lore, but New Vegas is a good place to start.
3. What better Fallout 3 or NV?
While the world of Fallout 3 is more fun to explore, Fallout: New Vegas features superior gameplay mechanics and more engaging missions.
4. How long of a game is Fallout 3?
Fallout 3 lasts roughly 22½ hours when concentrating on the primary goals. If you’re a gamer who wants to experience every facet of the game, it will probably take you about 116 hours to complete it.
5. Is Fallout 4 Based on a true story?
Contrary to popular belief, the Fallout is not actually based on a true story.