The winter transfer window opens tomorrow. Steve Bruce spoke briefly about the window after the Liverpool draw and stated that Newcastle were in the process of identifying possible targets to bring in on loan this month.
He even hinted that there are one or two players on the radar who are currently under serious consideration. This is what Bruce said on Wednesday:
“We’ll scour the market. We’ve got one or two things we might progress, hopefully. And if it improves us we’ll try and be in a position to act.”
During today’s press conference for Leicester City, Bruce expounded on the winter window and tempered expectations a bit. As Bruce said last January, he’ll only try to bring in players that will improve the squad.
Last year it was Nabil Bentaleb, Valentino Lazaro, and Danny Rose who came in with varying amounts of success. Though they did provide depth for a squad who had struggled all season with fitness issues.
This year it is a bit more difficult as there are currently no open places for additions. Last year Ki Sung-yueng had moved on while Paul Dummett and Jetro Willems were ruled out for the season with injuries.
So Bruce will have to move players from the 25-man squad to bring anyone in. He also has a surplus of four players not even in the squad but still at the club.
There’s also the Covid pandemic which is still reaping havoc as Newcastle is still recovering from the outbreak early in December. Last week also yielded a record number of positive tests.
This January is shaping up to be a very difficult window to try to improve this Newcastle squad. Though Bruce says he is going to do his best to improve this team for the second half of the campaign.
The Northern Echo has published the following comments from Bruce on Newcastle’s transfer plans this month.
“I think it’s fair to say that the loan market is what we’re looking at. But I don’t think we’ll be alone in that.
“I can’t see much being done in January because of the problems everybody is facing and the money that every club is hemorrhaging, so it will be the loan market that we will look at.
“We did that last year and did it very well, so we’ll see what’s out there. It’s always notoriously difficult, and it could be even more difficult with all the Covid stuff that obviously has affected everybody.
“You have to name your squad again, but you can still only have 25. The key to it all is if there’s something with a bit of quality that can help us, then great – if not, then you’re not improving and we’re not going to get any better.
“I’m patient as far as that’s concerned because you do get much more value in the summer and I’m sure we will have more to pick from, and my job is to keep inching us forward. We’re not going to go and bring five or six in overnight – that’s not going to happen – so we have to be realistic and responsible.
“But if there is somebody out there on loan, I’ll do my best.”